Re: [wpan-next v2 08/27] net: ieee802154: Drop symbol duration settings when the core does it already

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 at 05:38, Miquel Raynal <miquel.raynal@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Alexander,

> > > We already have all this handled, no need for extra software. You can
> > > test active and passive scans between two hwsim devices already:
> > >
> > > # iwpan dev wpan0 beacons send interval 15
> > > # iwpan dev wpan1 scan type active duration 1
> > > # iwpan dev wpan0 beacons stop
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > # iwpan dev wpan0 beacons send interval 1
> > > # iwpan dev wpan1 scan type passive duration 2
> > > # iwpan dev wpan0 beacons stop

> > > I hope the above will match your expectations.
> > >

> > I need to think and read more about... in my mind is currently the
> > following question: are not coordinators broadcasting that information
> > only? Means, isn't that a job for a coordinator?
>
> My understanding right now:
> - The spec states that coordinators only can send beacons and perform
>   scans.

ok.

> - I don't yet have the necessary infrastructure to give coordinators
>   more rights than regular devices or RFDs (but 40+ patches already,
>   don't worry this is something we have in mind)
> - Right now this is the user to decide whether a device might answer
>   beacon requests or not. This will soon become more limited but it
>   greatly simplifies the logic for now.

There was always the idea behind it to make an "coordinator" interface
type and there is a reason for that because things e.g. filtering
becomes different than a non-coordinator interface type (known as node
interface in wpan).
At the end interface types should make a big difference in how the
"role" inside the network should be, which you can also see in
wireless as "station"/"access point" interface devices.

A non full functional device should then also not be able to act as a
coordinator e.g. it cannot create coordinator types.

However we can still make some -EOPNOTSUPP if something in a different
way should be done. This clearly breaks userspace and I am not sure if
we should worry or not worry about it in the current state of
802.15.4...

- Alex