Re: iwpan with LLSEC - attribute type 1 has an invalid length

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 19:20:53 -0400
Alexander Aring <alex.aring@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2 is ack frame, I think you mean 1.

Same error with 1

> Success? Like above? Can you tell me the command line error message
> please? What does tell you "type 1 has an invalid length"

dmesg tells me that when I enter that command:

[  156.899429] netlink: 'iwpan': attribute type 1 has an invalid length.

So I assume that's why encryption fails.

>  - Don't trust wireshark, you will not see exactly what's sending out
> on the wire. We just do the encryption on the wrong layer, but moving
> it was causing other problems. I recently stumbled over something
> which maybe can help us there, but didn't look closely at that, some
> subsystems have special handling for tcpdump/wireshark things.

Would that cause interoperability issues with other implementations?

>  - The frame_counter thing that you see above needs to be synchronized
> on all nodes, if nodes join with a zero value you can do replay
> attacks. 802.15.4 doesn't solve that on the link layer for peer to
> peer, MLE can do that in a way to just make the attack window smaller.
>  - When the fame_counter overflows you need a new key, means key
> management and key exchange. Biggest problem :-) I was talking with
> Koen about that once... he showed me some interesting stuff, forgot
> the name..

Urgh this just came up again in https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/15150
Does the standard suggest anything here?
How does Thread solve this?

> Please dump more:
>
> iwpan dev $WPAN_DEV seclevel dump

iwpan dev $WPAN_DEV seclevel add 0xff 1 0

> iwpan dev $WPAN_DEV device dump

iwpan dev $WPAN_DEV device add 0x00000000 0x0023 0xffff 0x82b989a7f0d5decb 0 0

> iwpan dev $WPAN_DEV devkey dump

[nothing]

> iwpan dev $WPAN_DEV key dump

iwpan dev $WPAN_DEV key add 0x02 c0:c1:c2:c3:c4:c5:c6:c7:c8:c9:ca:cb:cc:cd:ce:cf 0 0x0023 3 0x82b989a7f0d5decb

> - Alex

Thank you for your help,
Benjamin