Re: issues with at86rf212b transceiver

Hi,

> On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 02:04:04PM -0500, Alexander Aring wrote:
>> Hi,

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have a transceiver at86rf212b connected to Atmel's SAMA5D2-XULT devboard.
>> > It runs kernel from Atmel, based on Linux release 4.9. Maybe it's not a latest one,
>> > but I checked that there are no significant changes to at86rf230 driver since then.
>> >
>> > So I have some issues with transceiver and at86rf230 driver module.
>> > Is this driver considered production-ready, was it tested with at86rf212b?
>> >

>> So far I know somebody already use the driver with an at86rf212b -
>> there was patches related to that.
>>
>> What do you mean with "production-ready"? GPL gives you no warranty
>> and we do it as "hobby"...
>>
>> According your problem, show me "cat /proc/interrupts" I will see if
>> the interrupt is fired (more than one time), otherwise I see a board
>> setup problem...
>>
>> - Alex
>
> Hi Alex,
>
> Of course I understand about no warranty, just asking. Quality of drivers
> accepted into mainline kernely may vary, especially for rare hardware.
> I am ready to cooperate and help with improving this driver.
>
> Btw, I've googled thread from this mailing list
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wpan/msg02555.html
> "ping6 doesn't use at86rf230 driver"
> with somewhat similar issues, but it was spi driver's fault. Not sure if it's
> the same reason here, any ideas?

no, I mean another patch...

7598968d6fdbe8960b941246cc6ebef725899c59

Tested on AT86RF212B where the part is detected to be the expected part...

it makes probing working and so far I know it was working.

> Ok, so I've started one of the dev board, looks like 12 interrupts are fired,
> then something breaks and seems no more frames are sent, as interrupts count
> does not update and TX bytes value of wpan0 remains 352
>
> Interrupt line from /proc/interrupts should be this one:
> 161:          0      GPIO 109 Level     spi32765.0

ok good.

> at86rf230 spi32765.0: Detected at86rf212 chip version 3
> at86rf230 spi32765.0: unexcept state change from 0x01 to 0x08. Actual state: 0x01

> at86rf230 spi32765.0: not supported irq 84 received

This messages confused me, it should not happen unless you
reading/writing garbage on SPI bus.
We only use IRQ TRX_END and we are sure that we only receive these
IRQs by IRQ_MASK_MODE and IRQ_MASK.

Check your wiring, make a lower spi clock (Maybe we should make the
clock at the devicetree documentation lower).

But... this messages should not happen unless something is broken.

- Alex