Re: Applications on wpan-linux

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 04:14:54PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

> {cleaning my inbox}
>
> Stefan Schmidt <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     > If I understand this correctly you want to send out beacons to announce
>     > a 15.4 network and do basic PAN coordinator tasks like handing out
>     > short addresses and keeping track of devices within the PAN. Is that
>     > correct?
>
>     > We do not have this functionality right now. All communication is
>     > ad-hoc and based knowing network parameters like channel, etc.
>
> I feel that perhaps linux-wpan@ is not a focused enough group to actually get
> this work done.  Perhaps we simply lack a bit of common marketing?
> Maybe a silly single page web site with the ubiquitous "fork me on github"
> banner.  Maybe that already exists and is poorly marketed such that I don't
> even know about it.

About marketing: I think we need to make some tutorial for RIOT/Contiki
to build e.g. a broder router. All others IoT MCU OS's make their own
Border Router solution and feed their IPv6 Stack on $MCU_IOT_OS over
SLIP and they do marketing with that.

What already happen is that people which using such stuff reports BUGs
to linux-wpan, because they think they actually using Linux 6LoWPAN
which they don't do. :(

Making everything in a state that a simple raspbian can be turned into a
RPL Border Router for Contiki/RIOT OS would be marketing enough I think.
We just need to remove the barriers which we have now, then write wiki
page and propagate it. Not an easy work...

>     > Various steps are needed to get to the functionality you are looking
>     > for. 1) Add support for MAC command frames for network management, 2)
>     > add support for beacon frames 3) expose a netlink UAPI to act as a PAN
>     > coordinator and 4) a coordinator daemon in userspace.
>
> At this point, I don't quite recall the summary of solutions that we came
> home from NetDev with.  I meant to watch the video to learn what we said :-)

did we talked about that @netdev? :-) We talked mostly about RPL, but
coordinator stuff? In the early days of IEEE 802.15.4 (with sourceforge
kernel stuff which never came into mainline) we hat some _basic_
assoc/deassoc coordinator functionality. With a userspace daemon which
knows which short addresses was still available etc. In short: It was
very orianted to hostapd e.g. 802.11 to run an access point.

I am not so an expert for that, but all MLME-ops (algorithmn to do
assoc/deassoc described by 802.15.4) can be triggered then by a netlink
cmd. E.g. MLME-SCAN (similar to 802.11) can be handled very asynchronous
with START/STOP/ABORT and netlink EVENT callback if some $COORDINATOR
was found.

I think MLME-SCAN would be a _really_ simple MLME-ops where we can start
and lookup architecture from 802.11. Now I need just a 802.15.4 stack
which supports coordinator so I can test it. :-) (Maybe some HardMAC
transceiver?). I don't have any hardware here which can run a
coordinator supported 802.15.4 stack, but maybe we don't need it and just
lookup the 802.15.4 spec for now...

- Alex