Re: monitor interfaces and fcs

Alexander Aring <alex.aring@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > New behaviour?:

    > The new behaviour should also deal with hardware where we don't get FCS
    > information from hardware (cc2520 in non promicuousmode is such
    > hardware).

Nice.

    > Important node - you can change this behaviour for monitors:

    > Rx: while monitor interface generation you can decide if you want FCS

    > Tx: while monitor interface generation you can decide if you want to
    > send FCS

Do you return FCS as auxdata if asked for?

    > If the hardware doesn't support that - it will not allow you to generate
    > such interface.

Do you mean, if the hardware can't return FCS? Or insists on generating FCS
itself?

    > IMPORTANT NOTE:
    > This will of course break userspace software - fix should be simple, but
    > it's already broken somehow. E.g. tx with wireshark, it thinks there is
    > a FCS there, but there is no FCS...

    > We should fix all userspace software afterwards...

    > What we need is just some behaviour which everybody acks now and we
    > don't touch it again! Please comment this mail with your opinions about
    > default behaviours of FCS and different interface types (node vs
    > monitor) in combination with AF_PACKET RAW.

It is unfortunate, but I think that the number of people doing monitoring
on 15.4 is relatively small, and it's mostly with wireshark.
Is there a way to determine old behaviour vs new behaviour?

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [