Re: Register two 802.15.4 devices/interfaces in one driver

Alexander Aring <aar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I think the important thing is here (I suppose) the device can somehow
    > handle TWO address filters. Meaning you can operate on TWO source
    > pan-ids and having address filtering on.

I imagine that yes, this is what the device is offering.

    > PAN is not just software if you have address filtering. Sure you can
    > turn off the address filter, but for some transceivers this is only
    > possible to go into promiscuous mode and then you disable all filters.

I think that this is exactly the point: you can (have to) do address
filtering in software if you have turned on promiscuous mode.  If you have
hardware that does this, then you can take the PANID from the hardware.
We could literally overload the entire VLAN process for this as for the
moment, 802.15.4 does not have 802.1Q, but I understand 802.15.10 will
change that.

    > Setting Destination PAN for a 6LoWPAN 802.15.4 interface -> we can talk
    > about that, this is software only. But listen source PAN -> problematic
    > because you change address filter parameter while receiving is on. :-/
    > If you do so, you also could miss some frames from other PANs...

Yes, a good point.
I'm not trying to be dynamic here, but rather to leverage the capabilities of
devices...

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [