Re: Looking for boards with an 802.15.4 chip

Don Zickus <dzickus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > I was wondering what boards/chips folks like yourself use to develop/test
    > the 802.15.4 work?  I noticed the website  http://wpan.cakelab.org/
    > mentions

It depends a lot on what you want to do, what pieces you want to hack on,
and what devices you want to interoperate with.

The at86rf233 is popular and easily obtainable and Alex is doing lots of work
to support it.  Get the openlabs device.  It seems that we might be able
to support 6tisch on this device if we try hard enough, but for the moment
you are restricted to 1 channel and aloha-only time slots.

Many people are using openmote's connected via USB or via daughter card
to an RPI.   The openmote does the 6tisch stuff, but "bridges" (but/wrong
term, but have yet to find a better one) the raw 6lowpan packets over USB
using a custom encapsulation.  (I'd like to change it to ppp actually)

    > I assume the SPI bus is easily found on a rPI-like board.  Is it
    > difficult to hook one of them up to an x86 desktop?

Yes, it's a bit painful since few desktops have easily accessible GPIO
pins that you can turn into a SPI bus.  You can add one with a FTDI USB
interface easily, but given the cost of an RPI... hard to argue.

]     mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [