Re: [RFC bluetooth-next 20/20] 6lowpan: bluetooth: add new implementation

Hi Johan,

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM, Johan Hedberg <johan.hedberg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016, Alexander Aring wrote:
>> mhhh, I am not a bluetooth expert. What really means "periodically
>> change is RPA" and how is this done in the Linux bluetooth?
>>
>> When "changing the RPA" happens, does that mean the all connections will
>> be lost (unregister interface). Then the previous connections will be
>> recreated (register interface) with a complete different MAC address?
>
> Connections aren't lost when the random address is changed. That's why
> we track the hci_conn->init_addr and hci_conn->resp_addr. The way this
> is dealt with e.g. the Security Manager protocol is that the connection
> creation address *is* the address for the remote device throughout the
> entire connection, no matter what happens to the local and remote random
> address during the connection. I would expect 6LoWPAN do do something
> similar.
>
> What was still unclear to me (maybe I missed it in the thread): does the
> 6LoWPAN for LE spec require using the connection creation address or the
> identity address? If it would be the latter then that's something that
> will never change and the whole interface recreation issue goes away.

For the MAC address I don't really know, but for the link-local IPv6
address I think the RPA shall be used:

   'The IPv6 link-local address configuration described in Section 3.2.2
   only reveals information about the 6LN to the 6LBR that the 6LBR
   already knows from the link-layer connection.  This means that a
   device using Bluetooth privacy features reveals the same information
   in its IPv6 link-local addresses as in its device addresses.
   Respectively, a device not using privacy at the Bluetooth level will
   not have privacy at the IPv6 link-local address either.'

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz