Re: 802.15.4G support?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 3:11 AM, Michael Richardson <mcr@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stefan Schmidt <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     > 2) If the 802.15.4g node uses a SUN PHY with a 2047 byte MTU we can run into
>     > trouble with normal nodes only able to handle 127. So far there is nothing
>     > specified to handle this case. Michael is proposing to use 6lo ND for this
>     > and record the MTU value for this neighbour in the l2 nd cache. Something
>     > that would certainly work but would need specing and implementing. I see this
>     > as a mid term goal we want to have. Anyone going to work on this?
>
> It's not even clear to me that ND can do this.
> I still propose that we want to have a space in the l2 or l3 ND cache for
> this info.  It could well go in the L3 cache because it is really a statement
> about how the 6lowpan layer should fragment.
>
>     > 3) Until 2) is done I would suggest we add a config option "802.15.4g with
>     > SUN PHY" which will change the hardcoded MTU from 127 to 2047 and will thus
>     > only work for a 15.g with SUN PHY only network. No interop as we have no way
>     > of knowing. The option would be disabled by default and the help text needs
>     > to mention the drawbacks. Once we have 2) in place we can remove this.
>
> Couldn't we use "ifconfig blah0 mtu 2047"?

Maybe we should do both, have a flag to specify the PHY type as the
PHY header is slightly different in15.4g MR-FSK to support for mode
switch, data whitening... it needs to support 2 octets header (page 52
of the 802.15.4g-2012 spec) it can also lock the max MTU supported for
the media. And allow to change the MTU from command line.

--
Rémi Philippe - CTO
Linqio