802.15.4 SoftMAC devices in linux-wpan?

Hi all,

I am looking to get a purely PHY radio (so called SoftMAC devices) into
Linux and up and running on an 802.15.4 network.

In linux/Documentation/networking/ieee802154.txt I read that only
monitor mode is supported for SoftMAC devices:
    NOTE: Currently the only monitor device type is supported - it's
IEEE 802.15.4
    stack interface for network sniffers (e.g. WireShark).

When browsing the source files in the linux mainline tree, I also
couldn't find much on a kernel level CSMA/CA implementation.

Are there any other purely PHY devices supported? I saw the cc2520
listed, which in Contiki at least has its MAC protocol running
externally (i.e. inside contiki, not on the cc2520).
How does a cc2520 with linux-wpan perform CSMA/CA (this could help me on
my way significantly)?
If it doesn't, would it be feasible to implement CSMA/CA inside the
kernel? I'm mainly concerned about strict timings and concurrency when
running CSMA/CA in kernel level.

Best regards,
Floris