Re: nl802154 enum misspelled, just send patch?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 10:24:49AM +0200, Christoffer Holmstedt wrote:
> Hi
> While working on the CCA improvements to wpan-tools I noticed that one of the
> enums has a value misspelled. As the header is not in UAPI yet I suggest we
> fix this.
>
> NL802154_CCA_UWB_MULTIPEXED is missing an l (ell) in multiplexed.
>
> The header file is included in wpan-tools repository and available in the
> kernel. Should I just send a patch for bluetooth-next and then the new header
> file is copied over to wpan-tools repository or what is the procedure here?

First send patches for kernel, when Marcel has applied the change. Then
you can send another patch for wpan-tools for updating the nl802154 header.

> I assume normal procedure for more "stable" user-space software is that the
> kernel header file(s) should not be included in the user-space tool but instead
> included and linked against the kernel headers (from running system or similiar
> source). At the moment the nl802154 header is included in wpan-tools to make it
> easier to build while developing.

In this case, if we would change the uapi header then compiling will
fail, because the enum is different. In this case it's safer to put the
header in wpan-tools.

If the kernel get a enum value which is higher than the own nl802154
capabilities, this should be handled by nl802154 by checking on ATTR_MAX
value.

> So, should I send a patch for both bluetooth-next and wpan-tools or just
> bluetooth-next?

API changes are always bad, but this doesn't change the API. It's just a
compile failure when we change it. So it's okay to fix that now.

So first send patches to bluetooth-next then wpan-tools with updating
nl802154 header and also updating your cca print functionality. Maybe
mention the bluetooth-next commit id in the commit msg of wpan-tools patch.

- Alex