Re: [RFC bluetooth-next] ieee802154: 6lowpan: set ackreq when needed

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 10:22:19AM +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On 27/05/15 12:12, Alexander Aring wrote:
> >This patch sets the acknowledge request bit inside the 802.15.4 mac
> >header when frame retries is 0 or above. The other frame retries value
> >which is -1 indicates that the transmitter doesn't care about an
> >acknowledge frame which will be ignored after transmitting if the node
> >sends anyway an ack frame after receiving. This is currently unnecessary
> >traffic if the max frame retries parameter is -1. I hope transceivers
> >which supports AACK handling will check on this bit and doesn't send an
> >ack frame after receiving.
>
> Do we know if AACK enbaled receivers really parse this and avoid sending the
> ACK? They should but I wonder if you did run any test for this.

I did a test with a running at86rf231 in monitor mode, I don't see ack
frames when this isn't set, so AACK handling should take care about this
bit.

Any other suggestions? I mean this patch makes sense, if we are in a
transmit mode that doesn't care about ack frame after transmit, then we
don't need to set the ack request bit, or?

- Alex