Re: IPv6 over IEEE 802.15.4 aka 6LoWPAN - Neighbor discovery issue

Hi,

Alexander Aring wrote:
There exist no mapping between extended and short addresses. The global problem
that the neighbor discovery cache handle the address length with a static addr_len
value from net_device, this value should not be changed during runtime.

To handle 6LoWPAN over IEEE 802.15.4 correctly we need to indicate that the neighbor
discovery stores an extended or short address.
:
My idea:

Let addr_len to extended_address_length + 1. In the last byte we have a bit which
indicate that is it a short address. If this bit isn't set we have an extended
address.

If we do that, we need some conversions about generating the ICMPv6 messages according
to [1]. We can solve that with some hooks in net/ipv6/ndisc.c like the ndisc_mc_map
function for mapping mac multicast addresses.

Another idea to avoid hooks in net/ipv6/ndisc.c  is to parse and rebuild the ICMPv6
header while replacing IPv6 with the 6LoWPAN header.

Please avoid magling icmpv6/ipv6 bits as much as possible.

Please I need help and I need a solution which is also acceptable for mainline.

We can have L2-specific private data per NCE, and 6lowpan uses ARPHRD_IEEE802154.
Please consider using it for L2 private data, if you need L2-speicic extra
information per NCE.

Regards,

--yoshfuji