Search Linux Wireless

Noob question: Development Environment

Greetings.  Sorry to interrupt with a newbie question, but I need some help
on setting up a linux wireless development and test environment.  What I
would like to have is a stable development and test environment where I can
work for a period of months without having to upgrade the kernel version on
my development and test machines, but staying close to the bleeding edge
with the core wireless modules and drivers.

I have successfully built the wireless-testing tree from GIT, but have only
discovered how to install the entire kernel produced from the build, not
just the wireless modules.  What I would like to do is to install only the
wireless modules, as I can do with the compat-wireless tree.  I have gotten
compat-wireless to work for me with a lot of labor (refreshing patches), but
I'm unsure of the correct work-flow with it.

How are you folks accomplishing this?

Please feel free to point me to the archives or a web page.  I've groped all
around the internet and have failed to answer my questions.  (If you point
me to the archives, please give me a keyword to search on as I have looked
and been unsuccessful in finding the relevant information.)

Thank you very much!
Paul Stoaks