Search Linux Wireless

Clarification needed on Last Tx Rate statistic update

Hi,

I am Saravana and i am currently working on adding statistics. It will be really helpful if someone could provide me clarification related to Last Tx Rate statistics.

In ieee80211_tx_status(), the Last Tx Rate (sta->last_tx_rate) update happens only when the rate control is done by the HW (IEEE80211_HW_HAS_RATE_CONTROL) . My understanding is that irrespective of whether the rate control is done by the hardware or not, the driver will fill up all the rates that it had tried along with the retry count for each rate to ieee80211_tx_status() using the
 struct ieee80211_tx_info (info->status.rates).

The 'info->status.rates[rates_idx]' would point to the rate with which the packet transmission has occured irrespective of the where the rate control is done.

Could somebody clarify why the statistics update happens only when the rate control is done by the hardware(flag IEEE80211_HW_HAS_RATE_CONTROL is set)?

Thanks,
Saravana