Search Linux Wireless

Re: Linux 3.6.5

On 05/11/12 08:17, Greg KH wrote:
On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 07:52:20PM +0000, Eddie Chapman wrote:
On 3.6.5 my rt2800usb adapter's speeds (measured downloading a file
on the my LAN with wget) dropped down to around 900 Kbyte/s from the
usual approx. 4 Mbyte/s.  Also some packet loss and latency spikes.
Nothing unusual reported in dmesg.

Rebooting back into 3.6.4 with identical .config and the problem goes away.

So I reversed the following 4 patches introduced in 3.6.5:

Felix Fietkau:
         mac80211: use ieee80211_free_txskb in a few more places

Johannes Berg:
         mac80211: connect with HT20 if HT40 is not permitted

Stanislaw Gruszka:
         mac80211: check if key has TKIP type before updating IV
         cfg80211/mac80211: avoid state mishmash on deauth

rebuilt 3.6.5, rebooted into it, and speeds back to normal.

Sorry can't be more specific, didn't have enough time to revert each
one individually to find out which one caused the regression.
Though if anyone would really like me to find out let me know.

I would, if you could narrow this down to one patch, that would be
great.

Also, copying the wireless developers on the email about this, would be
best, there's nothing that the stable tree developers can do about this
on their own.

And, can you also test 3.7-rc4, to ensure that the problem isn't there
as well?

thanks,

greg k-h

Thanks Greg.

I've narrowed it down to this patch which introduces the problem:

Johannes Berg:
mac80211: connect with HT20 if HT40 is not permitted
commit: 3a40414f826a8f1096d9b94c4a53ef91b25ba28d

The other 3 patches above give me no problems at all, so I am now running my 3.6.5 with those 3 back in, and just the HT20/HT40 patch removed, and throughput is perfect. As soon as I introduce the patch HT20/HT40 throughput drops right down to a fifth of what it was.

So I've copied into this message the original people from the HT20/HT40 patch as well as linux-wireless.

This is my original message in full sent to stable list for the benefit of the new recipients:
http://www.mail-archive.com/stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg22645.html

If I can do anything else to help figure out why this patch causes problems for my device, please let me know.

thanks,
Eddie