Search Linux Wireless

Re: Bandwidth monitoring

>From: Christian Lamparter
>>># iw dev wlanX set channel 1 HT40+ (or HT40-/HT20)
>>
>> This is setting up to send on channel 1 HT40+ correct ?
>yes, I hope so.

Thanks

>> Wireshark appears to handle RadioTap - I am seeing lots of other
>flags
>> etc. but not BW40.
>It depends on the version. Here's a screenshot
>from wireshark 1.8.2: <http://imageshack.us/f/703/mcsinfo.png/>
Thanks

>> Googling Radiotap produces lots of comments that suggest that
>>Radiotap
>> headers - send and receive are not necescarily complete or accurate
>>from
>> device to device - is that a reasonable conclusion ?
>Most mac80211 driver should report rx'ed MCS information.
>At least ath9k, ath9k_htc, brcmsmac, carl9170, iwlagn, iwllegacy,
>mwl8k,
>rt2800*, rtl8192* do
Using carl9170 so that should be OK.

>What might not work is: injecting frames with MCS rates [no code
>in ieee80211_parse_tx_radiotap for that?]... So maybe the issue
>is indeed at the other end?

Assuming Carl9170/AR9170's at both ends
But if I am am using iw to set monitor mode mode, channel, and
bandwidth,
And using Raw sockets injection with a radiotap header that has no
frequency/channel/bandwidth information,
I should then be able to receive that packet on another system with an
AR9170 and 1.8.2 Wireshark and the BW40 flag should be true ?

I need to do something that involves sending HT40 packets in a
completely different context. But I do not have a spectrum analyzer to
confirm that i am actually sending what I want.
So I have been using airmon, wireshark, ....
But i need to be able to send and verify an HT40 packet by some somewhat
normal means, to assure myself that my receiving end wireshark
hardware/driver/software combination can tell me what i need to know.