Search Linux Wireless

Re: Driver for USB device with ID 050d:615a

On 10/24/2012 06:04 PM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
2012/10/24 Arend van Spriel <arend@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 10/23/2012 10:51 PM, Larry Finger wrote:

Arend and Franky,

I recently purchased a Belkin N600 DB USB dongle on Ebay. I wanted to
get the model with a Realtek RTL8192DU chip. Instead I got a version
with a Broadcom chip, which lsusb identifies as

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 050d:615a Belkin Components F7D4101 / F9L1101
802.11abgn Wireless Adapter [Broadcom BCM4323]

I have since acquired a different device with the Realtek chip, thus It
could return the Belkin device; however, the cost was minimal and I will
keep it if there is a driver for it. Is it a brcmfmac device that is not
yet in the device tables, or is it some other sort of unit that may
never be supported under Linux?

Hi Larry,

I went digging and this chip requires a different driver model (basically a
split stack between host and dongle). This model is being abandoned for
newer chips so we decided not to support it in mainline linux.

What do you think about listing not supported chipsets on your
brcm80211 wiki page? Thay way users will get clear overview of this
situation. I think I already heard similar answer about BCM43236 V2
(found by Hauke in his router).

It has been suggested before (by you if I recall correctly). Howeverm the number of chip programs is extensive and it is hard to find out which went into production and are available to end-users. So we decided only list what we know.

Btw. your http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/brcm80211
doesn't say anything about BCM43143, which (I believe) is supported by
brcmfmac.
Oh and one more thing: I believe putting minimal kernel version
requires is also a good idea. Something like:
"BCM43143 - supported since 3.123"

The bcm43143 (and bcm43242) support is in the driver, but the firmware for these chips have not been released yet. With that I mean not released at all so we can not submit any firmware for those chips to the linux-firmware git repository. Consequently, it does not make sense to list them on wireless.kernel.org.

Thanks for the kernel version suggestion. I will add that info although there is always compat-wireless...eh...compat-drivers ;-)

Gr. AvS