Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC v3] cfg80211: VHT regulatory

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 8:34 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-09-14 at 13:48 +0530, Mahesh Palivela wrote:
>
>> > Although VHT complicates the regulatory checks, to the extent you
>> > check for valid 20 MHz IEEE channels in between a VHT wide channel,
>> > the IEEE spec actually only allows in practice certain VHT
>> > arrangements. I've asked for shiny diagrams that have this laid out
>> > clearly and simple but unfortunately we do not have one, but such
>> > simple static arrangements are apparently specified on the spec, its
>> > not clear to me where exactly though... Technically then if we wanted
>> > to keep a static cached early check of allowed channels maps for VHT
>> > we should be able to have a bitmap representation of the allowed IEEE
>> > VHT channel configurations and upon initialization / regulatory change
>> > update this bitmap to determine if we're allowed to use the new
>> > arrangement. The approach you use is also fine and while it does allow
>> > for flexibility to do add more technologies one should consider the
>> > penalty incurred at doing these computations at run time. The run time
>> > impact is no issue if its done just once but consider changing
>> > channels and how often we can do this. Consider a device now with one
>> > radio but two virtual devices and each one doing their own set of
>> > scans and two different types of HT / VHT configurations. This means
>> > the code you just wrote will become a real hot path -- used for
>> > anything  that has to do with any channel change. The purpose of the
>> > flags are to remove that run time penalty, so if we can take into
>> > consideration more the nature of how we VHT channels are allowed and
>> > how IEEE decided to simplify the arrangements for VHT then likely
>> > keeping flags may make sense then. That is, not all VHT arrangements
>> > are possible, only a subset, and it seems fairly trivial and
>> > reasonable to me to do this upon regulatory change only once rather
>> > than at every channel change.
>> >
>> > And as for the question: "What about the future? Will we see 320 MHz
>> > wide channels in 2020? :)"
>> >
>> > I'm told through a shiny crystal ball: let's not expect 320 MHz channels.
>> >
>> > So I'd rather keep this simple and also due to the fact that VHT
>> > channels are static just try to use a bitmap for them and check for it
>> > at regulatory change.
>> >

>> I agree Luis. Limiting the flags to a subset is fine with me. Hope no
>> more disagreements.
>
> I'm not convinced :-)
>
> Today, we have people who want to use wifi on other parts of the
> spectrum, like somewhere in the 800 MHz range for example. If that gets
> properly integrated into drivers (rather than pretending it's actually
> 2.4 GHz) then you may want to do something different here, and those
> channels would never actually have IEEE defined 80 MHz rules.

So we'd have HT20 and HT40 only for 800 MHz?

> Also, those definitions are arbitrary for interoperability and don't
> reflect regulatory rules.

It seems easier to implement supporting checking for a static set of
VHT arrangements rather than figuring out all theoretically possible
arrangements given that most other arrangements would be unused /
unimplemented / not-supported.

> Yes, it may be easier today to just pretend
> that regulatory rules only matter for IEEE defined operation, but I'm
> not convinced that we really should have definitions here in the
> regulatory database that really only cover specific IEEE 802.11
> channels.

Agreed, but what I am proposing doesn't necessarily push us to push
anything IEEE specific into the wireless regulatory database, but it
does however push us to implement IEEE specific use cases on cfg80211.

> The regulatory database was designed to be at least a bit more
> generic and in fact we always treated it as max bandwidth etc.

I don't think this would deviate us away from it though. Where would
that happen?

> I think just using the 802.11 rules here would be artificially limiting
> the expressiveness of the regulatory database.

Agreed, but in so far as cfg80211 is concerned, as a consumer it can
surely use IEEE definitions in its own domain, no?

  Luis