Search Linux Wireless

Re: [iwl4965] Microcode SW error detected

On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 12:32 +0200, Paul Bolle wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-09-05 at 11:33 +0200, Stanislaw Gruszka wrote:
> > Does wifi stop working after an
> > error, or there is some other negative impact? Or only that messages
> > are printed and driver recover itself?
>
> There doesn't seem to be any impact (ie, it might have some impact but
> I'm too insensitive to notice). The driver does recover itself and I do
> not have to mess with rfkill or "modprobe -r" or whatever. I actually
> discovered this because I tend to regularly do
>     dmesg -r |  grep "^<[123]>"
>
> to keep myself informed of any kernel errors (or worse). And then these
> few dozen lines can't go unnoticed.

0) It's one year later now and this Microcode SW error again showed up
in the logs. I recently upgraded and I haven't kept any logs, but my
guess would be that I have run into that error once every week. (This
laptop is now running a v3.5.3 based kernel as shipped for Fedora 17.)

1) Would you have any suggestions how to pinpoint the cause of this
error? It is mainly annoying, and I managed to ignore it since my
it makes.

Paul Bolle