Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC v2] cfg80211: VHT regulatory

On 9/7/2012 5:40 PM, Johannes Berg wrote:
We don't have to do any calculation in kernel though as far as I can
tell? Maybe we do need the channel, but I think in terms of
*specifying*, in particular in the nl80211 and cfg80211 APIs, we should
stick to the standard if we're going to change it now.

If we don't have to do any calculation, what for the formulas in spec? converting chan number to frequency value. Just with channel number entire cfg,mac and drivers are fine?

I have no idea. I don't know the regulatory code very well, sorry.

Sorry I take it back. we can pass center freq to get reg rule. RFC v3 is on way ...

It seems to me that if we're going to specify things as an overall
center frequency + bandwidth then we don't really care about
primary/secondary channels? We'd rather just get the reg rule(s) from
the center freq(s)/bandwidth, and then check all channels that happen to
fall into this space, or something like that?

Even if we do that, there's still another issue though. Some drivers,
like ours, don't support HT40 everywhere. Right now I believe we pretty
much support HT40 everywhere that is allowed, but that might not be the
case for all drivers.

So previously, the driver was able to set the IEEE80211_CHAN_NO_HT40PLUS
etc. flags on a channel before registering. If we remove these flags
we'll have to find a way to allow the driver to influence the decision
about what is allowed in some way, I guess? Or maybe the driver would
have to register a regulatory rule that encapsulates everything in the
device's EEPROM?

Let me know if my RFC v3 is ok for this.

johannes

--
Thanks,
Mahesh