Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] bcma: add cc core driver, expose sprom to sysfs

On 08/11/2012 01:42 AM, Saul St. John wrote:

>> > Well, that's a little messy. You change a few not strictly related
>> > things in a one patch, please provide patch-per-change. That changes
>> > are quite sensitive so we really need it.
> Ok, v2 will be split over a couple of patches.
>
>> > I also wish to see some explanation on that changes. Why do you need
>> > CC to be registered as a bus core device? Why anyone may need
>> > overwriting SPROM? Did it work for you? Have you tested
>> > suspend&resume?

Hi Saul,

I am really not in favor for adding write support. As Rafał noted there
is no need for linux end-users to be modifying SPROM content. It is
called Serial Programmable *Read-Only* Memory for a reason. The only
parties that need write access are the chip manufacturer and OEM/ODM.

Most information is rather device specific and sensitive to change. Also
changing information like country code (as you indicated you did) can
cause violations in the regulatory area.

Without a clear need of this functionality for the linux users I tend to
discard this change, but I am not the bcma maintainer. Could you
elaborate what your higher-level use is?

If the reasons for having this patch accepted are clear and valid I
would suggest to make it depend on CFG80211_CERTIFICATION_ONUS Kconfig
option.

Gr. AvS