Search Linux Wireless

Re: rt73usb not working since linux 3.4

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 18:03:56 +0200
Andreas Messer <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> updating my pc from linux kernel 3.3 to linux kernel 3.4 broke my
> wlan. I'm using rt2571 based wlan module from qcom: LR802UKG, which
> is wired to an internal usb port of my media center pc. The rfkill
> switch is hardwired to make wlan active all the time. This setup is
> (almost) properly working since about three years now. (If i ignore
> the occasional vendor_request_error things)
> When I use kernel 3.4., i get a lot of additional devices reported by
> the kernel - three leds and a rfkill switch which have not been there
> before. (or at least I did not notice them) The wlan device now
> refuses to go online, saying that the kill switch is active, which of
> course can not be as it is working with linux kernel 3.3.
> Furthermore, the driver reports three leds, but my wlan device has
> only one, so probably a bad eeprom? i dont know... Anyway, I noticed,
> that when I set the radio led to brightness 255, which takes a lot of
> time and gives me some vendor_request_errors, the rfkill switch gets
> turned off (sys/class/rfkill/../hard = 0). Unfortunately, this
> doesn't help to bring the interface online: After doing that I get
> frequent vendor_request_failed messages, even the PC becomes stuck on
> shutdown. (Probably NetworkManager waiting for something...) So, what
> can I do to track down the problem?
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas

I have the same problem with a rt73usb too and with the
kernel 3.4.4-2-ARCH (Archlinux). The solution was to recompile the
kernel with the option CONFIG_RFKILL unset (really unset not as a
module). Then everything works properly (exept you cannot disable it
with rfkill). I did not had this problem before the kernel 3.4 (but I do
not know if rfkill actually works, or if the wlan was always enabled).

Olive