Search Linux Wireless

Free hardware offered to anyone who wants to fix kernel built-in driver for rtl8192cu

I just bought an Asus USB N-13 dongle because it supposedly had excellent linux support. Turns out there are multiple versions of this with different chipsets, I got bum luck with one with the rtl8192cu chipset. This is a little frustrating as this usb stick is advertised prominently by ASUS to work on linux.

Running ubuntu 12.04, kernel version 3.2.0.26.

The card works sometimes on boot but usually disassociates itself from the access point fairly rapidly (5-20 minutes) and cannot re-associate, if it works at all. Some information about many people with identical problems can be found neatly summarised here:

Problems also exist in Fedora and Open Suse.

I could probably fix this if I was willing to spend hours, there are apparently working drivers available on the realtek website. But I have spent too many hours of my life already coaxing life out of badly supported hardware on linux and I'm not really in the mood for it any more. Instead I am just going to use my linksys router as a wireless bridge and be done with it.

If there is somebody out there with the knowhow and drive to sort out this problem but lacks hardware, I will post them this USB dongle for free.

Regards
Sam--