Search Linux Wireless

Re: Mysterious hangs - cfg80211 - ath9k

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Jon Wikne <Jon.Wikne@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 08:52 PM, Jon Wikne wrote:

>>> please quickly try
>>>
>>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#Where_to_download_bleeding_edge
>>

>> I tried to install compat-wireless-2012-05-10. It worked for 4½ hours,
>> then same problem.
>>
>> Maybe there is something wrong with my understanding here, but I do not
>> see why the "cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain"
>> should occur hours after the connection has been established, and what
>> triggers it, apparently at random....
>>
>>> or the latest wireless testing tree
>>>
>>> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/git-guide#Cloning_latest_wireless-testing
>>

>> Is there a reason to believe it could make a difference if I try
>> this too?
>

> Now I downloaded this (more than 1GB), just to realize that it is a
> complete kernel tree for kernel 3.5.0-rc3. I don't really feel ready
> for an experimental upgrade from 2.6.39.4 to that right now....
>
> With basis in compat-wireless-2012-05-10 I tried to comment out the
> call to call_crda in net/wireless/reg.c and return -EALREADY in line
> 1483, just to see if that circumvented the problem. It did not. The
> damage (whatever that might be) already seems to be done _before_ the
> call_crda is made in reg.c.
>
> I am a bit at a loss as to how to proceed. There are several things
> i do not understand.
>
> 1) The call to update CRDA (even with my crude, experimental, dummy
> return) seems to cause no trouble when it is done the first time
> the line comes up. Could someone please explain to me what causes
> the subsequent calls at highly irregular intervals, and why that
> seems to be necessary or desirable?
>
> 2) Is this a known problem that is being worked on (in which case I
> will just shut up and wait), or am I the first to report it?
>
> Thanks in advance for any further info or suggestions.

please provide the complete log. you can also enable ath9k debugging.
sudo modprobe -v ath9k debug=0x601
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k/debug
so you need to bring the interface up/down to make it working right ?
a recent fix, but not relevant to this i think
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/92657

--
thanks,
shafi