Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC v3] initial channel context implementation

Johannes Berg wrote:
On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 09:30 +0200, Michal Kazior wrote:

How are you planning to proceed from here? I'm happy to pick these up
even if you're not going to work on using it right away since I think in
that case I would probably be working on using it pretty soon, but if
you are planning to work on it that's even better :-)

The next step is to start using channel contexts in mac80211. I was
thinking of using chanctx->channel instead of hw.conf.channel if
.assign_vif_chanctx is defined. I expect some issues like using channel
before it is set.

Ok. Thinking about this a bit I get a feeling that we should internally
fully convert mac80211 over to channel contexts and not make things
conditional. Then, whenever a new channel context is allocated it will
be the only one and we can set hw.conf.channel/type to its channel(type)
and call hw_config() instead of ... add/change chanctx?

That way, we really only need to make a distinction in the low-level
code that actually calls into the driver, and on a higher level we can
just use the channel contexts everywhere.

But wouldn't that make hw.conf.channel have a different value then the channel context after running hw_config() (in case of sw scan for example)? You want to copy the value back from hw.conf.channel back to (an immutable) context channel in such a case? Could you elaborate more on this, please?

The biggest issue here will be CSA handling. I have no idea yet how this
will work in multi-channel, maybe we need to disconnect all other
interfaces on the same channel, or so?

We don't care about CSA in cfg80211 right now, do we? We probably should as it can break interface combinations right now too. We could maybe use the cfg80211_ch_switch_notify. This would probably require some more additional changes too (maybe with regard to channel tracking too).

Worst-case we disconnect other interfaces. We might be able to create a new channel context (provided num_different_channels hasn't been reached yet) or reuse an existing channel context (provided CSA happens to target a channel we have a channel context for already).

--
Pozdrawiam / Best regards, Michal Kazior.