Search Linux Wireless

Re: Help tracing NL80211_CMD_AUTHENTICATE as event in IBSS mode

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 12:23 -0400, Will Hawkins wrote:

> >> "When used as an event, this reports reception of an Authentication
> >> frame in station and IBSS modes when the local MLME processed the
> >> frame, i.e., it was for the local STA and was received in correct
> >> state."
> >>
> >> I very much want this to be true for IBSS modes. However, I cannot
> >> seem to trace through the source code to confirm that this actually
> >> happens. I can easily follow the code for the case when the interface
> >> is in station mode but lose the trail for IBSS.
> >
> > I'm afraid that isn't actually true for IBSS. The event you get there
> > will be NL80211_CMD_NEW_STATION.
>
> Thank you for the sanity check! Do you think it's worthwhile to patch
> the nl80211.h file to address this?

Yes, we should remove the IBSS text here :-)

> > I think in your case though, what you really want is a NL80211_CMD_FRAME
> > event? You register for auth frames, also to prevent mac80211 from
> > handling them itself, and then they get diverted to cfg80211_rx_mgmt()
> > and on to nl80211_send_mgmt().
>
> Thanks for this, as well. As far as the patch that I submitted, you are
> exactly correct. I was only investigating this other method since it
> appears that's how wpa_supplicant claims to support IBSS RSN.
> wpa_supplicant never actually registers for AUTH frames (through
> NL80211_CMD_REGISTER) and relies solely on the NL80211_CMD_AUTHENTICATE
> to actually receive copies of those frames.

Huh, now I'm confused, why would it need the authenticate frames for
IBSS? As far as I can tell, it looks at CMD_NEW_STA, which calls
nl80211_new_station_event(), which in IBSS sends EVENT_IBSS_RSN_START to
the supplicant core -- that will trigger the 4-way-handshake. No? Hence
it doesn't need to register for auth frames, it never needs them, since
RSN uses open auth, if any is even used in IBSS at all.

johannes