Search Linux Wireless

carl9170 driver - reducing the output power

Hi all,

I'm engaged in a research project that requires us to reduce the range of an ad-hoc wifi network. However, when I change the txpower (either using iwconfig, or iw command), I can only see the difference when I display the current configuration (e.g., with iwconfig). I cannot see any difference in the actual tx power observed on a spectrum analyzer.

Thus, my question is: is the function of changing the txpower really supported? If it is, what steps should I take to make it work? I tried with ifconfig up/down when I change the txpower, but it does not change anything. Maybe I do something wrong? Do I use the correct versions of the firmware and the driver?

I've noticed a patch related to this issue, published on 2012-01-27 by Christian Lamparter. It seems that it is included in my driver version, but maybe I'm wrong and I should apply some additional patch?

We use NetGear WNDA3100(v1) hardware [Atheros AR9001U-(2)NG] and carl9170 driver (driverversion=3.0.0-21-generic firmware=1.9.2).

Best regards,
Michal Kudelski