Search Linux Wireless

Re: [3.2.y] Re: Brcmsmac driver woes, possible regression?

On 06/19/2012 08:15 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Jonathan Nieder wrote:
>
>> As discussed at [1], Camaleón has been experiencing unwanted random
>> wireless reconnects with various 3.2.y kernels up to and including
>> 3.2.19:
>
> This was first reproduced on a kernel closely based on 3.2.9.  It
> would typically happen pretty reliably once a day or so.  Four days of
> testing a kernel close to 3.2.2 haven't triggered it again[1].
>
> The only brcm80211 change in that range is
>
>   f96b08a7e6f6 brcmsmac: fix tx queue flush infinite loop

The WARN_ONCE added by the commit above still triggers sometimes. Two
recent commits I did regarding this are in 3.4-stable. Not sure if they
have been ported to 3.2 as well.

85091fc brcm80211: smac: fix endless retry of A-MPDU transmissions
badc4f0 brcm80211: smac: resume transmit fifo upon receiving frames

However, I still observe the warning so I am looking what other event
trigger this issue.

> So maybe the timeout is too short and this safety is tripping when it
> shouldn't.  I've asked Camaleón to try a recent 3.2.y kernel with and
> without that commit reverted to test this guess.
>
> That leaves another mystery: which of the 22 changes listed at [2] was
> providing relief in earlier tests?  E.g., does
>
>>   c261bdf8acad brcm80211: smac: indicate severe problems to Mac80211
>
> make it easier to recover from this kind of error?  Are there commands
> we should run or diagnostics to try to get a better sense of what is
> going on?

Not commends yet. We want to add debugfs support. The commit above only
notifies mac80211 that we have a problem. However, the recovery scenario
that mac80211 initiates upon this notification turns out to be killing
for brcmsmac.

Gr. AvS