Search Linux Wireless

Re: firmware loading fails for b43 using linux 3.4?

On 24/05/12 05:03, Larry Finger wrote:
The second solution is to make multiple tries of the read of the first
firmware file. If the driver is a module, the first read will succeed,
thus there is no penalty for that case. If the read fails, the code
sleeps for 2000 ms, then retries the read. On my system, the 3rd try
works, thus the loop count is set to 10.

Please try the patch below on your system. If it works, please report
the number in the line from the dmesg output that states "**********
loop count at exit 2".

Well, I just tried it. It kinda works, but it seems a bit brittle.

Just after recompiling and rebooting, by chance my system needed a fsck, which seemed to delay it enough for it to go beyond the loop count, and it failed to load the firmware.

(Even without the fsck, my laptop could hang around indefinitely in early userspace waiting for me to type in my cryptoroot password)

Anyway, the second time I rebooted, it was fast enough (without the fsck) to load the firmware.

dmesg reported "********** loop count at exit 5" in that case.

-- M