Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] nl80211: don't require netdev UP for wdev

Johannes Berg wrote:
On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 15:28 -0700, Thomas Pedersen wrote:
iw wlan0 set type mp
iw wlan0 set channel n
ip link set wlan0 up
iw wlan0 mesh join meshid basic-rate 1,2

Also, 'iw set channel' is met with an -EBUSY if doing this after the
link is up for fixed channel modes (mesh) anyway.

Comments? Any idea why this was required initially?

I don't think this patch is correct -- mac80211 will get updated even if
the device isn't even started which will likely cause trouble. Even if
not though, this all doesn't match any kind of multi-channel concept. We
treat the channel as part of the temporary setup, e.g. part of the
association. AP and mesh are the only ones that are different today I
think.

What about monitor mode?

Overall, I don't think setting the channel&  doing mesh setup separately
is really a good API.

 From mac80211's (and other drivers if they existed) POV the channel
should be given with the mesh_join command, like for IBSS.

Now, obviously, requiring userspace to do that would be an API change.
We probably don't want that, so I would suggest to change cfg80211 to
track the channel and then pass it to join_mesh as one of the mesh
parameters. This could be made work even when somebody attempts to set
the channel before the interface is up, but we'd have to be careful
about interface type changes.

We should do the same for AP mode as well, since the channel really
becomes relevant only upon start_ap(), before that there's no real
concept of a channel since you don't use it yet anyway.

Maybe we should do the same with monitor interface type, i.e. introduce start_monitor() and have it pass the channel.

But then I'm thinking we shouldn't really be changing interface types explicitly, since they would be set implicitly by start_ap() and such. We could then use the NL80211_IFTYPE_UNSPECIFIED when we're not associated.

--
Pozdrawiam / Best regards, Michal Kazior.