Search Linux Wireless

RE: Support for AR9342 in ath9k?

The internal driver does support DFS. The ath9k component DFS functionality is ready, but up the stack logic in mac80211, hostapd, etc is not. I think it is a rather complex feature that isn't fun to develop and when operational, it can reduce the overall product performance due to the extra scanning. Let's face it, functions that are required only in order to satisfy a govt regulation are not that exciting to work on. It is also very difficult to test and requires special ($$$) equipment, so the fact that Zefir implemented the ath9k changes and he's from the community is quite impressive actually. We still need the logic dev done though, and that's not Zefir's expertise.

DFS is important though. In the US there have been abuses of high-power point-to-point wireless links operating in 5GHz "radar channels" without DFS compliance and they do interfere with airport weather radar. The FCC has fined several companies for non-conformance.

> Can I use that driver with OpenWRT?

Not easily, but it is possible. You can replace everything in OpenWRT if you want, and we have managed to drop in an old kernel and our internal driver before, but the Qualcomm Atheros internal driver doesn't conform to the standard netlink API, so "iw" can't be used for wireless config. You would need to learn our legacy iwpriv and iwconfig commands. And there's no connection to uci with the internal driver.

> And what other factors should I consider when deciding which driver to use?

The internal multi-OS driver is licensed under our Technology Licensing Agreement (TLA) and requires an annual fee ($) that wouldn't be palatable to most individual developers or small companies.

> Thanks,
> - Harshal

I'd recommend working with a company that already has ath9k experience with AP solutions as a project starting point, just to get something going quickly. And again, feel free to send me direct comments on what you need outside of the public forum if you need to protect your ideas.

kathy