Search Linux Wireless

question on non-kernel patch

Hi John,
	We have a change to the iwlwifi driver for the near future
which will dynamically load a different module based on the version
of microcode installed on the system.  The driver does a
request_module_nowait after obtaining the firmware file loaded as part
of modprobe.  This all works fine, however unloading the module is not
symmetrical/straight forward.
	It looks like there are capabilities already implemented to
make this easy.  If I put the following script into /etc/modprobe.d
then modprobe iwlwifi-r will do the right thing.
	It is backward compatible with the current iwlwifi driver.
How do I get this out in the community before we submit the patch that
would break iwlwifi removal?

Thanks,
Don

# /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
# iwlwifi will dyamically load either iwldvm or iwlmvm depending on the
# microcode file installed on the system.  When removing iwlwifi, first
# remove the iwl?vm module and then iwlwifi.
remove iwlwifi \
(/sbin/lsmod | grep -o -e ^iwlmvm -e ^iwldvm -e ^iwlwifi | xargs /sbin/rmmod) \
&& /sbin/modprobe -r mac80211