Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 2/2] mac80211: Support getting sta_info stats via ethtool.

Le 03/16/12 15:54, Ben Greear a écrit :
On 03/16/2012 07:18 AM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
Hello,

Le 03/16/12 14:49, John W. Linville a écrit :
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:56:24AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
On 03/15/2012 11:52 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 10:39 -0700, greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Ben Greear<greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This lets ethtool print out stats related to station
interfaces. Does not yet get stats from the underlying
driver.

Hmm. What's the advantage of using ethtool over iw, which already has a
bunch of these numbers?

Well, ethtool api might be easier for some apps to use,
and perhaps easier for users to read if all they want
are stats.

And they can use the same tool for both wired and wireless interfaces
-- could be handy.

iw already provides statistics which are relevant for wireless interfaces. I really don't see the point in also reporting them via ethtool, also it is going to be error prone if someone updates the netlink interface and forgets about the ethtool one.

Ethtool provides what it provides. If it's missing a stat, I or someone else can add it.

What if we don't want to bloat ethtool with new stats? I mean, someone else one day will see wireless stats in, and say, hey why don't I add atm, x25, or any protocol of the moment to ethtool, then what do we do?

And if it's not there, then users can do without or get it elsewhere.

iw does not provide any way to get underlying wifi radio counters, and
the only other way I've found is to parse various debugfs files that
are subject to change at a whim.

That's another topic, if debugfs interface changes you should complain to their maintainers.

Ethtool is a step up from that at least.

iw is also not supposed to be screen-scraped, while ethtool stats are a
fairly easily parsed output so scripts and such could use that.

Why not fix iw instead so its output gets nicely parsed?
Would there be no reporting tool that I would not object, otherwise I prefer to keep things where they are consistent, that is, iw configures and reports stats for wireless, and so does ethtool for Ethernet interfaces.
--
Florian