Search Linux Wireless

Re: Hacking PCI-ids to allow Atheros NIC into Lenovo laptop.

Hi Ben,

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 08:52, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It seems we bought a Lenovo laptop that has a BIOS lock where it will only
> support certain wifi NICs based on the pci-id.  It came with an Intel
> NIC, so at least that ID must work...

This is standard with Lenovo (and I believe this originated back when
IBM was building the machines) as it's their method of ensuring some
form of compliance - i.e. they guarantee that it complies with

More details here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_unauthorized_MiniPCI_network_card

> One way around this might be to over-write the pci-id of an Atheros NIC
> in it's non-volatile storage to make it look like an Intel, at least until
> the kernel boots.

That is one of the solutions discussed on that page, it also discusses
a few others with varying amounts of success.

Thanks,

--
Julian Calaby

Email: julian.calaby@xxxxxxxxx