Search Linux Wireless

Re: AP send null-data packet?

On Monday, February 20, 2012 08:12:34 AM Yingang Fu wrote:
> It is wired that my AP send the station a null-date packet.
> As i know that this packet could only been sent by the station.
> Under which case the AP will send out this type of packet?

Don't know much about other AP software. But hostapd sends them
to check if a station is still in range and active.

quote from hostapd.conf:

# Station inactivity limit
#
# If a station does not send anything in ap_max_inactivity seconds, an
# empty data frame is sent to it in order to verify whether it is
# still in range. If this frame is not ACKed, the station will be
# disassociated and then deauthenticated. This feature is used to
# clear station table of old entries when the STAs move out of the
# range.

Regards,
	Chr