Search Linux Wireless

Re: calling request_firmware() from module init will not work with recent/future udev versions

On 01/14/2012 07:20 PM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 01/14/2012 11:58 AM, John W. Linville wrote:
>> Kay, thanks for the reports.  Drivers should definitely be loading
>> firmware at IFF_UP time.
>
> As the maintainer for several drivers with this problem, I need to make some
> changes. What call from mac80211 corresponds to IFF_UP?

Hi, Larry

The mac80211 start callback describes following:

 * @start: Called before the first netdevice attached to the hardware
 *	is enabled. This should turn on the hardware and must turn on
 *	frame reception (for possibly enabled monitor interfaces.)
 *	Returns negative error codes, these may be seen in userspace,
 *	or zero.
 *	When the device is started it should not have a MAC address
 *	to avoid acknowledging frames before a non-monitor device
 *	is added.
 *	Must be implemented and can sleep.

Seems to me a good place to do the firmware loading although it is not
really IFF_UP.

> I have looked into using asynchronous firmware loading, but I have not yet found
> a good implementation.
>
> Larry

In brcmsmac we request the firmware in the probe function so not in
module_init, but I guess upon driver registration in the module_init the
probe is called.

Gr. AvS