Search Linux Wireless

Making Progress Re: Trouble with Macbook Pro 8,2 (broadcom 4331) and latest b43

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Nothing solving the problem so far.

I meant
find /lib/modules -name "b43.ko"

What is the point of looking for b43.ko? It exists for my running kernel.
I believe b43.ko from compat-wireless should be put in some specific
subdirectory, probably "extra". AFAIR it's
/lib/modules/SOMEKERNEL/extra/...

If you can see only default b43.ko, it means compat-wireless didn't
install successfully.

Thanks for your reply.

You are absolutely right. My Mandriva kernel's name is 3.1.2-1.1-desktop but the compat-wireless "make install" is installing everything in the directory /lib/modules/3.1.2-1-desktop/updates. The install path is missing the ".1" before the "-desktop".

How can I instruct "make install" to put the drivers in the correct path? I'm going to try to just copy everything to the correct place and run depmod and see what happens. Maybe that'll work??

Andy
Okay, I copied the contents of /lib/modules/3.1.2-1-desktop/updates to /lib/modules/3.1.2-1.1-desktop/. I then renamed "updates" to "extra" and ran depmod. Now when I run "modinfo b43" it points to the new compat-wireless version of b43 instead of pointing to the distro version. When I LOAD b43, iwconfig shows a wlan0. So, we are making progress.

But now, to do things the "Mandriva way", I am supposed to launch the "Mandriva Control Center" (drakconf), go to the "Manage you network devices" section and "add" the wlan0 interface to my system. (The idea is to then allow Network Manager to manage the connection moving forward, but first you have to enable the connection.) When I try to add wlan0 to my network configuration, I get a dialog box asking me which firmware file to use? Basically, it wants me to navigate to /lib/firmware/b43/ and select one of the "ucode" files. With the previous Macbook Pro 8,2, I think I selected ucode13.fw and it worked fine. But what is the correct way to select the proper firmware without guessing?

When I was trying to load the "distro b43" driver, dmesg was telling me the driver needed "FW13". Does that mean anything?

Andy