Search Linux Wireless

Re: off- & multi-channel operation

I'm sorry I haven't responded to this. I'm busy moving country :-)

Let's talk about this in a couple weeks. I know that FreeBSD's
net80211 code allows drivers to only override what methods they
require net80211 to provide. So drivers can do their own MLME, for
example, but still throw some control frame handling at
net80211/hostapd. Or use the net80211 rate control API whilst doing
mostly everything else in firmware (eg if_iwn.)

I'm also looking at how to handle off-channel operation when doing
active 802.11n (and not, but software aggregation does tickle things)
traffic. Flushing the actively queued traffic whilst doing off-channel
work is likely sub-optimal. I have no idea if that's what mac80211
does.

Anyway, I'll be back doing active hacking on this stuff in two or
three weeks. I bet we could save time by solving the same problem
together rather than solving it individually and differently.

(At that stage I may pick your brain about how P2P is supposed to
integrate correctly with off-channel operation..)

Adrian