Search Linux Wireless

Re: bcma USB Host driver

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:

> > Main question would be whether a linux device driver can provide
> > multiple system functions. I tend to say it can. So I would suggest to
> > have a single device driver providing OHCI and EHCI functionality.
>
> @USB guys, how do I design a driver for a linux device providing ohci
> and ehci functionality at the same time. The device has two address
> spaces one for ehci and one for ohci functions.

How many IRQ lines?

And incidentally, in what sense is this _one_ device?  Are you sure
it's not _two_ devices in one package?

> I thought about registering one controller (ehci or ohci) with
> usb_create_shared_hcd(). The code then will be in an own module and not
> in echi_hcd.ko and ochi_hcd.ko like for pci, I hope this works.
> Is there a better solution to do this, is there an other driver with the
> same problem already solved?

I don't know of any other driver that does this.  Your best solution is
probably write a driver that registers two child platform devices, and
write two corresponding platform drivers, one for the EHCI part and one
for the OHCI part.

Alan Stern