Search Linux Wireless

Re: Re: Try to narrow down the problem with rt2800usb and rt3572 based USB WLAN devices

Am Montag, 14. November 2011, 19:26:23 schrieb Andreas Hartmann:
> Hello Helmut,
>
> Helmut Schaa schrieb:
> > On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Andreas Hartmann
> > <andihartmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Could anybody please try to explain this behavior, or even better, fix
> >> it (it looks really broken to me)?
> >
> > AFAIK it is possible to aggregate  multiple frames into one URB
> > for rt2800 USB devices. However, rt2800usb doesn't make use
> > of this yet while the legacy driver does.
>
> Hmm, could this be the reason, why the device gets extremely hot during
> operation, especially when used in monitor mode (with airmon-ng)?

Interesting, maybe this is related, yes. Not sure though.

> Oh, I just remember, that during my "seven more packets" sniffing, the
> monitor mode of this device stalled after a few minutes. Probably the
> same reason why it doesn't work very well (respectively stalls
> completely) during normal mode.
>
> One more thing:
> At the moment, the tcp data transfer stalls, no more usb packets can be
> seen ... .
>
> > However, I don't think that
> > this is the cause for the poor performance you see ...
>
> Is it normal, that the device gets fired up with submits without waiting
> for any answers? The usb handling with the legacy driver is absolutely
> regular (submit / complete / submit / complete), the handling with the
> rt2800usb driver just looks totally messy to me (the urb ids of the
> submit / completes don't fit any more, even the "complete" comes before
> the "submit" (see package 83056 and 83062) ?!).

Unfortunately I don't know the rt2800 USB code very well but the tx status
handling was changed some time ago to read the TX_STA_FIFO register
asynchronously ...

Helmut