Search Linux Wireless

Re: redesigning authentication/association flows

On Wed, 2011-11-16 at 12:13 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> I've been growing unhappy with the way I designed authentication and
> association in cfg80211 and I'm ready to admit that the way it works now
> was a design mistake. Just see the tx_sync as an example, and if we
> explicitly do remain-on-channel for the authentication or association
> then we'll have to start doing GO NoA sync within r-o-c which will be a
> nightmare.

[...]

> Note that this gets rid of the stupid tx_sync, the attempt at doing this
> off-channel, and we never have to deal with tx_sync in remain-on-channel
> which would be really really strange.
>
> The only difference really is that today, if auth fails, we can stay
> connected. HOWEVER, wpa_supplicant isn't actually able to deal with
> that, gets confused and recovers with clear_state_mismatch().
>

> I think this will help all drivers, from at76c50x which is broken
> completely today, wl1251 which has a dummy join, wl12xx which has a work
> around with remain-on-channel but this doesn't work well with a GO (NoA)
> and of course iwlwifi (which has tx_sync for this) and iwlegacy which
> has a bunch of RXON ping-pong things going on.

As discussed on the phone, I think this should be okay with wl12xx.  We
will have to study it a bit further to be sure, but my first impression
is that it's should be fine.

One small correction from my mistake, wl1251 doesn't have a dummy join,
it's the old wl12xx which did (with older firmwares that didn't support
roc/croc).  Sorry, I got confused.

--
Cheers,
Luca.