Search Linux Wireless

Re: creating netdev queues on the fly?

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:40:01 +0100, Helmut Schaa wrote:

I think this might also make implementing reservation (tspec) easier.
Not sure if anyone wants/needs that though.

Wouldn't it be possible to implement something like this as a qdisc on top of
mq that makes use of the current tx rate per station to distribute
the airtime
equitably?

Of course this would require the qdisc to know the tx rate a priori but for
mac80211 drivers we could just use last_tx_rate as an estimate ...

Helmut

Maybe someone will make something like "tfifo" in future :)
And when clients are connected, each have his own queue.

then, for example qdisc add dev wlan0 parent 1:10 handle 10 tfifo limit 100ms If packet are older than 100ms will be dropped, or new packets are not added, if
there is packet older than 100ms are not sent yet.

I am not sure that bandwidth will be distributed fairly, it is different question, probably each queue should have some "limited chunk of time" to send data. And again, 802.11a/b/g at least are half-duplex and CSMA, and without polling/TDMA or CTS/RTS tricks
it will be complicated to give guaranteed chunks of time.

P.S. That's just a dream :)

---
Network engineer
Denys Fedoryshchenko