Search Linux Wireless

Re: realtek driver version in kernel

On 11/05/2011 11:43 AM, Andres Cimmarusti wrote:
Dear Mr. Finger,

I apologize for the audacity of contacting you directly. I saw your
name and email on one of the source files for the realtek wireless
drivers.
I have a question about the Realtek wireless driver (specifically
rtl8192se) version included in kernels 3.0.x and 3.1.x.

If I go to Realtek's website they mention a driver version:
rtl_92ce_92se_92de_linux_mac80211_0004.0816.2011

Is this included in kernel 3.0.x? or should I upgrade to 3.1?

I've been having a lot of disconnection and reconnection issues with
certain networks using a RTL8191SEvB (which loads the rtl8192se driver
module). I don't know for sure what the problem is, but I've noticed
that in areas (like university campuses) where there might be repeated
access points for the same network with varying signal strengths, my
connection is rather unstable and it keeps disconnecting and
reconnecting (I suspect there is a problem reporting the signal
strength to NetworkManager, which causes NM to get confused as to
which network has stronger signal...I mean in NM 0.8.4 all networks
listed show the same number of "bars"!). Since the rtl8192se is a
relatively new driver in the kernel, I was hoping getting the newest
version would help solve this issue.

If you have any info regarding this issue I would appreciate it very
much. I've seen some posts online that blame it on NM...I will try to
peruse through their bugs and see...

Note that I only do private consulting for a fee. You should send everything through the wireless ML, which I have added to this reply.

The newest version, i.e. 3.1, will have an improved driver. One with even more improvements will be in the bleeding-edge compat-wireless package. It is essentially the one for 3.2. Yes, rtl8192se is being improved regularly. All the improvements in the 08/16/2011 driver are in compat-wireless.

The number of "bars" in the NM applet are hardly a good measure of signal strength, but the driver does report a better value. I do not have an environment where I can test roaming.

Larry