Search Linux Wireless

Re: A new driver is going to be released

On 11/03/2011 05:40 PM, Dmitry Tarnyagin wrote:
Hi,

I'm about to release cw1200 driver to the community (more or less
latest code is available here:
http://www.igloocommunity.org/gitweb/?p=kernel/igloo-kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/linux-3.0-ux500
as well).

Technical question: how is it usually done in terms of commit history?
Should I preserve the history and release all the changes in the
driver separately or should I squash everything to a single commit
or...?

The details of what it took to get your driver to this point are not going to be of much interest in the future. The "official" history starts with acceptance into the kernel. Two things to keep in mind: (1) the kernel source must compile at each step of the way to allow for bisection, thus any changes to Kconfig and Makefile must be in the last patch, and (2) each commit should be small enough that it is relatively easy to review.

As I do not know the complexity of the driver, it is a little difficult to make suggestions; however, one way to accomplish the above is to add each source file in a separate patch. The maintainer may submit the final version as a single commit, but that is their choice.

Your sending this mail to the wireless ML indicates that you plan to submit the driver to the drivers/net/wireless/ part of the source tree. As long as the driver employs mac80211, that is appropriate. The other option is drivers/staging/. Drivers for that section of the source tree usually are not held to standards as high as the wireless section.

Please be certain that all code submitted passes all tests cleanly including checkpatch, sparse including endianess, and smatch.

Good luck,

Larry