Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC v2 13/12] cfg80211/mac80211: allow management TX to not wait for ACK

Helmut Schaa <helmut.schaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The reason is the following: if you're running a mac80211 AP with multiple
> bssids, hostapd will answer to broadcast probe requests sent by STAs with
> one probe response per bssid (unicast of course). And since some clients
> stay only for a short amount of time on the scan-channel (a few ms) under
> some circumstances the probe responses aren't sent out yet before the
> scanning STA leaves the channel and thus retried till the maximum retry
> limit is reached. And these retries consume quite a lot of airtime. And to
> avoid this we just don't want to retry the probe responses in that case.

This is all good. But doesn't it also mean that this change increases
probability that the client doesn't receive the probe response, for
example due to interference where retransmission would help, and hence
the AP isn't included in the client's scan results?

--
Kalle Valo