Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8188RU no injection?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/27/2011 08:17 AM, Roman Proud wrote:
>>
>> Hi peops
>>
>> thx for all youre responses!
>>
>> Well i didnt really thought about g and n -.-
>>
>> Im using the latest 8192cu driver from Realtek now, it works just
>> fine. Also monitor mode works like a charm (yes if i use airmon-ng for
>> it). My Kernel is (now the default) Arch kernel, on Linux Version
>> 3.0.4
>>
>> My last problem is the Package injection. Im surprised you are
>> thinking it could work (ive found many resources that say something
>> different, but hey its an OpenSource driver ;)
>
> Well, I tested with Packetspammer and it worked. As in many cases, the
> resources that say otherwise are wrong.
>
>> Pls excuse my "stupidness" but im really not sure if i am using
>> "mac80211", i think so, its leaded in the System.
>
> The drivers for most devices without a hardware MAC use mac80211 and
> friends. In fact, it is a prerequisite for getting a driver included in the
> mainline drivers/net/wireless/ tree. If the driver implements its own MAC
> layer, then it resides in drivers/staging/. Yes, it is loaded on your
> system, and it handles a lot of things for the drivers that use it.
>
>> And yes its Aircrack im trying to work with, and its Aircrack which
>> tells me i cant use Packet Injection.
>> I will try Packetspammer as soon as i am at home. If this works i have
>> to contact Aircrack, am i right?
>
> If Aircrack adds the socket method used by Packetspammer, it will work with
> nearly every driver in the kernel that supports monitor mode. Whether they
> want to do that will be their decision, of course.

As a former Aircrack developer, I can definitely state that Aircrack
uses the same injection method as packetspammer.

However, Realtek's r8192cu driver will never support injection, and it
is not a mac80211 driver. Look for a driver whose module name begins
with "rtl" (not just "r"). AFAIK one is included in recent kernels.

> Larry
> --

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)