Search Linux Wireless

Re: BQL crap and wireless

> Computing the buffering in bytes is better than in packets; but since on
> wireless multicast/broadcast is transmitted at a radically different
> rate than other packets, I expect something based on time is really the
> long term solution; and only the driver has any idea how long a packet
> of a given flavour will likely take to transmit.

The generalization of BQL would be to set the queue limit in terms of
a cost function implemented by the driver.  The cost function would
most likely be an estimate of time to transmit a packet.  So C(P)
could represent cost of a packet, sum(C(P) for P queued) is aggregate
cost of queue packets, and queue limit is the maximum cost sum.  For
wired Ethernet, number of bytes in packet might be a reasonable
function (although framing cost could be included, but I'm not sure
that would make a material difference).  For wireless, maybe the
function could be more complex possibly taking multicast, previous
history of transmission times, or other arbitrary characteristics of
the packet into account...

I can post a new patch with this generalization if this is interesting.

Tom