Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8192SE

On 07/29/2011 03:41 PM, Jongmyeong Kim wrote:
Hi Larry,

I have thinkpad T410 and it has rtl8192se as wifi card.
Today, I downloaded newest rtl8192se linux driver from realtek website
(92ce_se_de_linux_mac80211_0003.0620.2011.tar.gz) and installed it.
It worked fantastically but when I tried to reboot the laptop, the laptop says
'unauthorized network card is plugged in' and refuses to boot.

I think your driver changed PCI ID of the wireless card and I want to bring back
to the original value. Fortunately, I have another T410 with same configuration
so I can get some information from that laptop. I'm planning to restore eeprom
of rtl8192se by using 'ethtool' but it requires magic number of rtl8192se.
Can you provide the magic number?

I'm looking at the driver's code, can you point out which file changes PCI ID
of the wireless card? I'm a programmer so I can read and understand the C code
and I hope there can be a clue in the source code to fix this problem.

Nothing in the rtl8192se driver changes the PCI ID. That information is hard coded into the device. I do not know why the Thinkpad's BIOS did not flag the card as illegal on the initial startup. My HP certainly does.

I think that "whitelisting" the wifi cards is a horrible practice. I have used HP notebook computers for about 10 years, but the current one will be the last due to their BIOS practices. I own 14 mini-PCIe wifi devices, and only 2 are whitelisted. Similarly, I will never buy a Lenovo notebook. I use these "foreign" PCIe cards on an ExpressCard extender card, but that came from Realtek as part of my work with them. I do not know of a source for these cards.

Larry