Search Linux Wireless

Re: carl9170: Beacons at lower Tx power than data frames?

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/23/2011 02:18 PM, Harshal Chhaya wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Christian Lamparter
>> <chunkeey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

>>> Interesting... Sujith, can you please take a look at the wiki if
>>> ath9k_htc's AP/P2P
>>> infos are still up to date?
>>
>> Thanks for following up on this. I am really interested to know if I
>> should switch to using the AR9271 (or some other similar chipset).

>>> AR9271 recevied a lot more testing, so it's ought to perform better.

>>> 60-70 clients is a lot. This would rule out ath9k_htc since the firmwares
>>> only supports 7/8 stations at a time and I think that's a reasonable
>>> limit
>>> for any wireless network. Also, with so many stations the hardware crypto
>>> will not have enough space to store all station keys and has to switch to
>>> software de- and encryption.

>>> Sorry, but I've no data about this scenario. However some time ago
>>> Ben<greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  played around 128 stations on a ath9k
>>> network. But I don't know if he tested any USB solutions at that time.
>>
>> I agree - ~8 clients is a reasonable number for most wireless
>> networks. However, I have a specific application where I need to
>> support 60-70 clients on a single AP. I will check with Ben on his
>> experience. Thanks for his contact info.
>
> We haven't used USB, but we can reliably support 128 stations,
> using WPA on AR9380 and the older mini-pci chipsets.  We have hacks
> to make wpa_supplicant be much more efficient when using lots
> of virtual stations on one machine, but no significant changes
> to AP mode.

Ben,

Thanks for this information. Did you have to make any changes to
ath9k_htc on the AP side to support this large number of stations?

Also, any feedback on whether AR9380 (or AR971) chipset with ath9k_htc
is a better choice on the AP for a large network than the AR9170 +
carl9170 (which is what I am currently using)?

> Also, we are associating 128 virtual stations from a single or
> small number of radios.  You may get different behaviour if you
> are using 128 real radios.

Good point. I would guess that the memory mgmt and CPU load on the AP
will be similar in both cases - but the actual over-the-air packet
exchanges could be different.

> You can find our hostap repository here:
> https://github.com/greearb/hostap-ct

Is this a super-set of the patches at
http://www.candelatech.com/~greearb/patches/hostap-h/?

> We are trying to get our changes pushed upstream, but it's a slow
> process...
>
> The 'can-scan-one' logic requires hacks to the kernel as well, in case
> you want to use it.  Our kernel patches are here:
> http://dmz2.candelatech.com/git/?p=linux-3.0.dev.y/.git;a=summary

We are currently using the 2.6.37 kernel because later kernels don't
have support for my host processor (TI AM3703).

Also, based on your description of 'can-scan-one' (from the list
archives), I don't think it applies to my application since I don't
use virtual interfaces.

But I will take a look at your kernel patches to see which ones apply
to our config.

> I don't think any of our current kernel wireless patches have a chance at
> upstream
> acceptance, but they are fairly minimal, so the stock 3.0 kernel might
> be fine for you.
>
> Our hardware is dual-core Atom systems or better, 1GB+ RAM, etc.  These are
> fairly powerful,
> and we disable power saving by default.  We use software encryption to allow
> virtualization.

I am going to try s/w encryption but I can't disable power saving
since my clients are all battery powered. Also, my current h/w has
64MB of RAM - I have already asked the hardware guys to double it to
128. Hopefully that willl be enough.

Thanks again for your help. I will let you know if using software
encryption helps.

Thanks,
- Harshal